So the derailleur on Attica was pulling up when I backpedaled, such as when I’d stop at a light and try to get my pedal into “power position” for optimal takeoff after the light changed. I tried to fix it myself. Google had me thinking it was sticky pullies, so I figured out where the damn pullies are and cleaned them. It wasn’t the pullies. But I loved studying them and seeing that they carry the chain sort of like thread in a sewing machine. I digress.
Then Google suggested a sticky freewheel, so I figured out where that was and cleaned that, too. Not fixed. And then I did other things, and things got worse. I finally tossed Attica in the car and took her to the Atlanta Bicycle Barn, where Charlie (pictured) got us back on the road for a total of 10 bucks. Thanks, Charlie. I have much to learn.