I offer 4 (!) ways to learn free basic bike skills through my proprietary Pedal Power with Pattie class, including the 1st bike class in the world delivered via text and TikTok!
Based on the Smart Cycling curriculum from the League of American Bicyclists (which I am certified to teach as a League Cycling Instructor), my class is condensed to fit into women and teen girls’ lifestyles better. What’s more, it includes additional lived and learned experience about Traveling at the Speed of Bike as an underrepresented person in our shared public spaces.
The first 3 are learn-from-anywhere, and the 4th is in Metro Atlanta (for now):
- TikTok! Got 8-30 seconds? Learn a thing or two, or just enjoy an inspiring tip!
- Text! Got a minute? Enjoy 22 cute, free daily texts at the time you determine! They each feature a visual, three quick bullets and a bonus link. That’s it. This ain’t rocket science. My class is on a third party platform that specializes in text-based learning and keeps your number secure (note: the platform, Arist, charges a one-time $9 administrative fee for this class).
- PDF! Wanna binge or take your sweet time? Download the exact same series of 22 lessons that are in the text class for free! People all over the world already have. Join them.
- In-Person! Got two hours? I offer one free in-person class a month. Meet Helena, and some of the other women and girls who have taken my class. Stay tuned for updates about future classes (March is already booked).
Wanna just go for a bike ride and feel like the person who planned the route has your back? I see you. I got you.
I’m continually immersing myself in diverse, hands-on bike-education-related experiences so that I can more effectively address and advocate for as wide a variety of needs as possible:
- I’m a League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructor (#5382);
- I worked for a year with the City of Decatur, GA to teach a seniors-on-trikes course and an earn-a-bike program for children-in-need;
- I worked as a tour guide with Bicycle Tours of Atlanta, where I helped develop and lead tours with people from all over the world, including a tour highlighting the intersection of public art and social justice and a tour specifically about all aspects of triple-bottom-line sustainability;
- I’ve assisted the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition numerous times in their classes for Habitat for Humanity homeowners, Free Bikes for Kids recipients, and more;
- I served as a volunteer with the ICanBike camp (which teaches children and teens with developmental disabilities to ride bikes), and also volunteered to help make bikes of refugees-of-war safer to use in the dark;
- Plus, I condensed the nine-hour League of American Bicyclists’ Smart Cycling curriculum into a fun, 100%-hands-on, two-hour class that covers basic bike handling, hazard avoidance, rules of the road, choosing a route for your comfort and convenience, and more that I offer in-person specifically to women (made possible thanks to your support of my book);
- I currently serve as the first Metro Atlanta Bicycle Mayor. Here’s the Executive Summary of my first three months.